Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Behind a Balanced Life

I have wanted to blog for a long time. A really long time. But I always promised myself that I wouldn’t occupy any corner of cyberspace unless I had a topic to blog about. So I waited. And waited. Until recently the idea dawned on me, as many ideas do, while walking my dogs.

The seed was actually planted several weeks ago when I started thinking about the peculiar comments I receive when I tell people that I write for health and fitness magazines for a living. Like: “Oh, wow, you must be really healthy.” Or, “So do you workout, like, every day?” Or, “Don’t look at me, I need to lose 10 pounds!” And my favorite, “I have this weird pain in my knee, what should I do?”

As much as I love dispensing medical advice (most likely the result of having a doctor and a nurse for parents, thanks guys!) and sometimes forget that I am not qualified to do so, I realized something: With all of the research, writing, and interviewing that I do, I have something to offer. Not only that, but I’ve recently become very aware of the informed personal lifestyle choices I make on a daily basis that could … maybe … possibly … perhaps … hopefully help others.

Ultimately, all of these things fall under the umbrella of what being healthy means to me. I define health as feeling as if your life is in balance. And thus, as I circled the block that my dogs and I have rounded so many times before (there must be ruts in the pavement by now) the blog was born: A balanced life.

Throughout this journey I intend to write about the things I find or learn that help me achieve a balanced life. I may also write about those things that move me away from my center—and how I find my way back.

For any yogi readers (yes, yoga will be making a frequent appearance here), here’s an analogy that I often think about when it comes to finding balance on and off the mat: It’s that feeling you achieve in an arm balance or, well, any balance pose where you could hold it forever. It’s that sweet spot where, even in a difficult posture, it begins to feel easy, effortless, and enjoyable. (Think: Crow, eka pada galavasana, and, for those who’ve got it – I don’t quite yet – handstand.) It takes a decent amount of work to find that place, but when you find the pieces that make it work, it’s a breeze. You almost need to do your favorite balance poses every chance you get because they feel so yummy and are so much fun.

In much the same way, when your life is in balance you make choices every day, often without realizing it, that keep you feeling healthy and happy.

So here’s to living a balanced life—a place where crappy TV and chocolate are as welcome as roasted asparagus and sun salutations.

And wine.

Cheers!

Paige

3 comments:

  1. I love this already! And.....Come. Visit. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paige,
    Ali sent me this link! Welcome to the healthy living/wellness blog community. It's truly amazing! I started a blog last October and it has been a blessing (and a curse, time wise). I'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I've just started a (somewhat) similar blog, and am looking for like-minded people to inspire me. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete