Sunday, July 17, 2011

Make This Tonight: Super Foods Dinner


Wheat berry salad, grilled salmon and sauteed kale

Call me lame, but there are few things in life that give me greater satisfaction than looking at my plate, knowing that every single piece of food on it is ridiculously good for me. While I try to make this happen as often as I eat, tonight I really outdid myself. I honestly got a little giddy as I dive bombed my fork into the pile of bright green kale and chipped away at the heap of chewy wheat berry salad. It didn't hurt that everything tasted fresh and fantastic, too. So here it is: Tonight's Super Foods Dinner.

Wheat Berry Salad
I must thank the fabulous Ali Schwartz for the original recipe. Without her, I wouldn't even know what a delicious wheat berry is. (Which, by the way, is a wheat kernel minus the outer hull.)


First, cook the wheat berries (Find them in the bulk bins aisle of Whole Foods or here.)

In a large pot, combine 2 cups wheat berries with 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, about one hour. Drain and rinse.

I let them cool for several hours in the fridge. Then added:
  • 1 mango, diced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, diced
  • 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
  • Juice of 4 limes
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt & pepper
You could also add: Scallions, avocado, bell and jalapeno peppers, peas, edamame, carrots, etc.

Sauteed Kale
Check out my tried-and-true kale recipe here.

Grilled Salmon
I marinated the filets in my go-to salad dressing, Brianna's Real French Vinaigrette for about 15 minutes. Funny thing is, I've never actually used it on salad (I usually make my own dressing) but I've marinated every kind of fish you can think of as well as chicken breasts in the stuff. I then grilled the salmon on the George Foreman for about four minutes, squeezed 1/4 of a lemon on top, and dinner was served.

Delicious. Healthy. Completely satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment