Monday, November 15, 2010

Mmm Mmm Good


I am officially declaring this The Fall/Winter of the Soup/Stew. You heard it here first. Thrilling, right? Thought so. If I make a big pot of something at the beginning of the week, I am set with dinner for the next four days—five if I can still stand whatever I made by the fifth day. Why the soupy shift? Well, trying to make something different every night hasn't been working for me. I get home from yoga by 8 or 8:30pm. After taking the dogs for a lap around the block and whipping up dinner, it’s often 9:30 pm by the time I’m chowing. No bueno.

But make a big pot of grub on Sunday afternoon/evening, heat it up on weeknights, and I’ll be doing dishes before I’d normally be sitting down to dine. Problem solved.

I might not be the very first person to come up with the cook-once-eat-all-week idea. And I might not be the very first person to eat soup when it’s cold outside. But I am determined to make The Fall/Winter of the Soup/Stew work for me. As simple as that sounds, there are a few hurdles recipes must overcome in order to qualify for The Fall/Winter of the Soup/Stew:


· It has to taste good. Obvs. For me, that means it needs to be cheese-free (if you haven’t noticed by now I hate cheese. More than anything on the planet. Unless it’s on pizza. I have no explanation for that.)


· It needs to have a protein source. Beans, lean meats, protein-packed whole grains--yes please!


· Here’s the tricky one: It must have lots of veggies. At first glance, that doesn’t seem like such a challenge when we’re talking soups and stews, but consider this: The nutritional downside of eating the same thing every night for a week is that I could cheat myself out of variety. For instance, cream of broccoli soup might not make the cut because I’d be having, well, broccoli every single night. But if the broccoli soup contained carrots, potatoes, onions, and other goodies then we can talk. Another reason why variety is crucial: I’ll be less likely to get bored by the second day if there’s a whole lot going on in every bite.


· It can’t be minestrone soup—one of the most veggie-packed soups—every single week. I’d go crazy and abandon this mission faster than you can say "soup’s on." This is going to require a little creativity and a more adventuresome palate on my part.


· Whenever possible, the recipe should contain at least one food that’s new to me. Cooking is an ongoing learning process. Prepping and cooking new ingredients is one of the best ways for me to learn. This week, for instance, my soup contained collard greens (recipe below), a newbie in my repertoire. Loved it.

Eventually, I’d like to try some flavors that I am less familiar with such as curries, miso, and others. And I’d like to give slow cooking a try, although that would require a slow cooker (Santa, are you reading?)

As much as possible and without boring you to death, I will keep you updated on the soup and stew successes. I’ll spare you the failures. (I, however, won’t be so fortunate.) And please feel free to post links to your favorite soup and stew recipes here or on my Facebook page--I need all the help I can get.

Let’s kick off The Fall/Winter of the Soup/Stew with last night’s stellar Minestrone with Collard Greens and White Beans. (It’s minestrone. I know.) The original recipe comes from the almighty Martha, but I tweaked it to up the flavor and veggie content.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon EVOO

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 carrots, peeled and chopped

2 celery stalks, chopped (hey folks, did you know that Whole Foods will let you take however many stalks you need off of the bunch of celery without buying the whole shebang? You’re welcome.)

Coarse salt and ground pepper

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 bunches of collard greens (it’ll look like A LOT of greens, but they cook down)

½ tsp dried thyme

½ tsp red-pepper flakes (this was in the original recipe, but I omitted it because I don’t do spicy)

2 cans white beans (such as Great Northern)

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes in juice

6 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 cup dried pasta (I used orecchiette because I friggin' love it)

Directions:

1. Prep your veggies. I like to do all of the slicing and dicing before I start cooking. Maybe it’s because I learned how to cook by watching the Food Network. Never cooked collards before? Neither had I. I prepped them the same way that I do kale and it worked like a charm. Here’s how: Fill your sink with water and place the greens in there to rinse away any sand/dirt/whatever collects on greens. Taking one giant leaf (they’re huge!) at a time, use a paring knife and remove the tough stalk that runs through the middle. The leaf will now be in two sections. Roll up one half at a time into a tight burrito-like thing and then cut it horizontally into thin strips. This process might feel like it takes a while because it does. That’s what Sunday afternoons and Taylor Swift are for.


2. Rinse the beans. Place ¼ of beans in a bowl, and mash them with the back of a fork or spoon (this will help thicken the soup. Plus it's kind of fun. I'm sure that's what Martha had in mind.)


3. Get cooking: In a large saucepan or medium-sized red Le Creuset French oven (Still reading, Santa?) heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; season with S & P. Cook, stirring, until onion begins to soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook until carrots soften.


4. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until veggies are coated, about 30 seconds.


5. Add collard greens, thyme, and red-pepper flakes if you’re into that. Cook, stirring, until collards start to wilt, about 2 to 4 minutes. Add all of the beans. You’ll have a heavy glob of veggies. You’ll think you did something wrong, but you’ll check the recipe and find out you didn’t.


6. Add the can of tomatoes with juice and the chicken stock. Give it a nice stir, maybe more S & P. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. In the last 10 minutes, add the pasta (you can leave it out if you're carb phobic.)


7. Ladle soup into bowl. Wait for soup to cool slightly before eating. Apparently some people still need to learn this. Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Paige - Great blog! I am a huge soup fan in the winter and I do the exact same thing (making up a pot on the weekend and eating it all week). One of my favorites is super easy to make and very flavorful: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Bean-Vegetable-Soup/Detail.aspx. The non-veg bf loves it too.

    Good luck!

    Alexis Crawford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alexis,
    This looks awesome! I actually wanted to make black bean soup some time and found that most don't include that many veggies--but this one does! Definitely going to add it to the list. Good thing the winters are long! Hope you're doing well!
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple ideas to prevent eating the same soup every day of the week would be to make a couple different soups on Sunday and to plan to cook on meal during the week. You'd be eating later, but it might not matter as much if it was just one weeknight instead of all of them.

    Plus if you make two soups and divide them into individual servings and freeze they could last you longer than a week. If you keep making a new soup each Sunday you might end up with a few choices instead of just one within a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I the only idiot who doesn't know what EVOO is?

    ReplyDelete